RBA Logo

What Consultants Might I Need on My Project?

November 2023

Throughout your project, you are likely to use the services of different consultants at different stages. During our initial meeting with you, we will discuss any additional consultants that we think you will need.

Some of the most commonly required consultants that you may need on your project are listed below.

Work Stage 1

  • Surveyor

    A surveyor will produce a measured survey of the building and a topographical survey of the surrounding land that we can base our drawings on. This is a vital step before we can start work.

  • Planning Consultant

    Depending on the complexity of the project we may work closely with a planning consultant to deliver a planning application with a high chance of success.

  • Arboriculturalist

    If your project is in close proximity to sensitive trees that might be affected by your building works, an arboriculturalist can advise on the best way to protect these.

  • Historian/Heritage Consultant

    Heritage consultants are able to advise on works when they affect a listed building. The historian or heritage consultant will produce a report detailing the history of the building. This will also include an impact assessment which will be submitted as part of the planning and listed building applications.

  • Ecologist

    Ecology is an important consideration for all applications. We work closely with a number of ecologists who will survey your property for the presence of protected species such as bats. The ecologist will provide the necessary recommendations within a report which will outline the impact on construction and the necessary mitigation strategy.

  • Highways Consultant

    If your works have an impact on a public road or highway, such as the re-routing of a driveway or the creation of a new access, it will be necessary to appoint a highways consultant who will undertake the necessary surveys and advise on the best strategy.

  • Landscape Designer/Architect

    The relationship between a project and its garden is an important consideration. We may therefore recommend a landscape designer to work with us to develop the landscape strategy. For projects that are set within a sensitive location a landscape visual impact assessment may be required to be submitted as part of a planning application.  If so, a landscape architect would produce this.


Work Stage 2

  • Structural Engineers

    A structural engineer is a vital part of any project. They will design and plan all structural elements of the building, such as the foundations and any load-bearing features.

  • Mechanical & Electrical Consultant

    For larger more complex projects, an M&E consultant can design the electrical, plumbing and heating requirements for the building. They can often advise on such factors as heat recovery and renewable energy systems.

  • Interior Designer

    An interior designer will plan the decoration and furniture for your home. In the absence of a specific lighting engineer, this could include the lighting schemes for the house.  We will work closely with them and the other consultants to ensure that the contractor has all the information they need to realise their vision. We will also liaise with any kitchen or bathroom designers you choose to appoint in a similar way.

  • Garden Designer

    The outside of your home is also likely to need attention, and you may wish to appoint a garden designer at this stage. They will plan the layout of your garden and know the best plants and trees for your site.

  • Quantity Surveyor

    A quantity surveyor will run all the financial elements of the project. At this stage they can estimate costs based on the size of your building, and help you to establish your budget. As the build moves into the construction phase they will continue to manage all expenditure, working closely with your contractors.


Work Stage 3

  • Contract Administrator

    A contract administrator will manage the contract between yourself and your contractor. They can run the tender process, including liaising with potential contractors , managing the tender documents and reviewing the tender returns. During construction they will oversee the progress of the build, and make sure that the terms of the contract are adhered to.

  • Principal Designer (HSE)

    Running a safe site is vital and a responsibility of the client under the Health & Safety Executive legislation. A principal designer will work with you, the contractors, and other designers as required. Using a Designer’s Risk Assessment provided by us, they will consider the health and safety risks of your project and then plan how to eliminate or control them.

The number of consultants you will need will depend on the size and complexity of your project. We will be able to guide you on this as the project progresses so please contact us to discuss your requirements.

Related Projects & Insights

All Insights

Let’s discuss your project

Contact Us

01722 324 835 info@richmondbellarchitects.com

20 Milford Street
Salisbury, Wiltshire